Tuesday, May 23, 2006

"Bless those who persecute you."

I liked the quote from St. Francis in today's Saint of the Day e-mail. It seems especially relevant considerly all the hoopla over DaVinci Code:

"And let us refer all good to the most high and supreme lord God, and acknowledge that every good is His, and thank Him for everything, [He] from Whom all good things come. And may He, the Highest and Supreme, Who alone is true God, have and be given and receive every honor and reverence, every praise and blessing, every thanks and glory, for every good is His, He Who alone is good. And when we see or hear an evil [person] speak or act or blaspheme God, let us speak well and act well and praise God (cf. Rm 12:21), Who is blessed forever (Rm 1:25)" (St. Francis, Rule of 1221, Ch. 17).

Romans 12:21 says, "Do not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good."

So if Dan Brown is our enemy, I suppose we should bless and pray for him. And maybe go see the movie too, although I personally believe he intentionally pushes buttons to compensate for a story lacking in plot. But I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'll let you know.

2 comments:

friar minor said...

I started reading the book, out of sheer curiosity. It's really nothing exciting.

Francis is right. Our only enemy is our own spirit of appropriation. It wants to grasp hold of every little good we might enjoy instead of referring all to God in a spirit of holy poverty.

And as far as criticizing Dan Brown,well, one of the treasures we have to be most careful of is the "moneybag of our own opinions" as Bonaventure says. That's one of my favorites. :)

Jason said...

Well, my sister's boyfriend talked my mom out of wanting to see the movie. Not for any religious reasons, but simply because it was long and boring :) Frankly, if it was a good movie, I'd love to see it, but I haven't heard one good review yet.