Sunday, August 20, 2006

What's so Catholic About Picnics?

A few weeks ago one of my roommates said something about watching the drunks stumble home from the Catholic picnic that took place down the street from our apartment. Then last night I was hanging out with some people at a cookout when one girl there got to talking about how they couldn't stand the St. Joseph's picnic (the biggest Catholic picnic in Louisville) because of the old men following around the barely-teenage girls strutting around with their ass hanging out of their little skirts.

It's got me thinking... I know most parish picnics are pretty well civilized, but sometimes I wonder just how much we're selling out to make a buck. The only time I've been to the St. Joe's picnic was a couple of years ago and the one thing I remember most is watching some lady so drunk she could barely walk stumbling down a ditch. I know some people will say that these people are all making their own decisions, but I'm starting to think that's an irresponsible attitude. I'm not sure what the solution is, but I feel like something isn't right when a major source of income for Catholic churches and charities is associated with drunkeness, pedophilia, and slutty middle school girls.

Anyway, I'm off my soapbox for now.

4 comments:

friar minor said...

Funny thing; if you read the introduction to Anton LaVey's "Satanic Bible," he tells more or less the same story to explain how he was turned off Christianity in his early career as a carnival organist.

Don't let the devil trick you with these trifles!

Hope you're well.

Jason said...

oh, I didn't mean to imply that I'm having doubts about my faith... it's only observation of what appears to be a glaring contradiction in practicing what we preach.

Arleen said...

There's a carnival of sorts every year (and it's actually going on right now) at a parish not far from mine. In my neck of the woods, it's typically a huge hit. The place is always packed, and you can see the rides from a mile away (only not quite, but close, lol) so it doesn't take long to draw crowds. From the outside looking in, I always thought it was a great idea and a great chance to show our city what Catholics are all about.

And then one year, I went.

Beer vendors galore, drunken carnies and practically explicit music blaring from a sound system was something I really thought the thing could have done without, you know? It's fun to have rides and food vendors and a great time, but it's a shame that it's not used for at least some evangelization. Aside from the sign out front and the building next to the parking lot...most wouldn't know they're at an event sponsored by a church.

The Kitchen Madonna said...

I can imagine what a true Catholic Picnic would look like. I'm working on it. I'll blog about it. Would you pass the Polish mustard please sir?
Pax Christi.
Kitchen Madonna