Monday, February 5, 2007

True Courage is Found in Fierce Obedience

Following up from my previous post, I'm changing my tune just a little...

Catholics are to obey their bishop as Christ, for the bishop represents the Church and the Church is Christ's Bride. The bishops in America aren't going to excommunicate us for not registering for vote, and apparently not even if we vote for abortion, but that's their pastoral decision to make and it's not my place to judge them for it.

I need to confess that I've been overly critical of some priests and bishops. It hasn't come out on my blog much, but it did when I criticized the Archbishop of D.C. for the decision he made to allow Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi to receive the Eucharist. Satan uses the tiniest bit of disobedience, even when it comes from a well-intentioned heart, to gain a foothold. This past weekend I was convicted with the great amount of Pride built up in my heart because of thinking I know what I would do in their shoes, but the fact is I'm just a layperson and God has given me no authority to make these very difficult decisions. Part of our vocation as Catholics is to be fiercely obedient to the men God places as shepherds over us. If they fall asleep while we're praying all night in the garden, so be it. Let's concern ourselves with sharing our joy with the people we are in contact with every day instead of worrying about men we rarely (if ever) meet.

Most of all, let's just be thankful that we share a relationship with Christ and that He is so gracious to forgive our sins in Confession, not just once, but seven times seventy-seven, and receive the grace and love of God made flesh in the Eucharist. We need to be humbled before our Lord, crying with tears of joy that He loves us more than we can comprehend. God swept our greatest theologian, Thomas Aquinas, right off his feet and left him speechless! And we consider his "straw" to be a work of genius. Anyway... step down off this soapbox now... I'm on a spiritual high after last weekend's retreat, if ya can't tell ;-) Satan will probably try dragging me down here in a few days, but even if he does, he can do nothing that prayer, Scripture, and five minutes at Confession won't fix.

2 comments:

Jason said...

hmm... not quite what I was expecting, but allright.

Matt1618 said...

uh...yeah...
Anyway! Hey Jason, this is Matt, I think we met a couple times in MOCA. I'm a seminarian for Louisville. I found your blog through a comment you made on Nick's blog. And...I also saw your name CC'd to a certain email list we're both on...mmhmmm... let's keep in touch